When camping with your family, the last thing you want is to get caught in bad weather, and even worse, a bad situation because you’re not prepared for that bad weather. While you should always check the weather before leaving for a trip, it is also very unpredictable and you never know when you might be stuck in a tight spot.
And you don’t want to have to cut a great trip short just because of a little rain. So, here are the best waterproof family tents to keep your family safe, dry, and comfortable in all weather conditions.
Delta Zulu Family Tent by Bushtec Adventure USA
The Delta Zulu Tent by BushTec Adventure USA is a beast of a tent. Calling it a tent feels a bit like under selling it – it’s more of a mobile shelter. It’s a 4 person family tent that is primarily known for its tough build as it’s constructed with 550gsm Rip-stop Military Grade Canvas. It also comes with a Sewn-in 550gsm PVC floor with flood walls.
It’s both waterproof (550mm water head tested) and meets all the CPAI 84 Fire retardant requirements. Plus, unlike a lot of other ground tents, Delta Zulu has the ability to withstand high-speed winds (up to 60mph). And both of the windows in the tent come with mosquito gauze to keep out those pesky insects. These features make it one of the best family tents for bad weather on the market today – wind, rain, bugs, and cold – are no problem!
Let’s quickly look at some other cool features of the Delta Zulu:
- Includes unbendable ground stakes
- Comes with a water proof bag to make it easy for you to carry your tent around
- Straightforward installation process – can be installed in under 30 minutes
- Includes electric supply socket pocket – charge your phones and devices while you sleep!
- You can use internal heating with normal precautions
Overland Pros Anza 2000 Roof Top Tent
The Anza 2000 tent by Overland Pros is the biggest soft shell roof top out there. It has an accommodation capacity of 5 people and also has an option for you to add an annex. Even with it’s large size, it’s also super fast to set up and take down. You can set this sucker up in under 1 min vs the 3-5mins of most other soft shell tents – ideal for when the skies open up and start pouring down.
It features a 280gsm poly cotton rip stop canvas and a 210 Denier rainfly to keep the water out during heavy rainfall. Also, the canvas is completely waterproof.
When all the windows are opened, you get a really great 270 degree outward view, which is pretty much the entire point of camping under the stars – to be able to see the stars!
Some other worth-noting features of the Anza 2000:
- Includes peak loops allow for hanging of anything from solar panels to laundry from the top of the tent for maximum sun exposure
- Low-profile gimp reduces dust and debris incursion into the cover zipper
- Maximum ventilation inside the tent at all times
- Includes a 3″ thick high-density foam King Size mattress
- Comes with 1200gsm PVC transit cover
Alpha Kilo Bow Tent by Bushtec Adventure USA
The Alpha Kilo Bow Tent is a ground tent by Bushtec Adventure, and like the Delta Zulu, the Alpha Kilo is also known for its toughness and durability.
It’s also constructed with 550gsm Rip-stop Military Grade Canvas which is waterproof, meets all CPAI 84 Fire retardant requirements, and includes a sewn-in 550gsm PVC floor with flood walls. All of that makes this 6-person tent great for all types of weather.
Plus, the Alpha Kilo has an extended porch, big enough to fit 2-3 chairs. This is a great way to still be able to get outside and not be crammed into a tent with a family when it starts to rain.
Other great features of Delta Zulu:
- Heavy Duty YKK zippers
- Storm straps
- Can withstand extreme winds
- UV and rot protected
- Suspended on a durable spring steel frame
- There won’t be any color fading for at least 15 years
- Inner and outer flaps for extra warmth or cooling
- Easy set up in under 20 minutes.
Vagabond XL Family Roof Top Tent
The Vagabond XL Roof Top Tent by Roam Adventure Co. is a durable 4 person tent with some really great construction that will keep you safe and dry.
It has waterproof PU coated 280g poly cotton ripstop tent body fabric with diamond ripstop 600D rainfly. It also comes with a 1” internal aluminum frame for improved strength and durability.
It also comes with a built-in annex made with the same durable material as the rainfly and includes a black, heavy-duty, laminated, 600 GSM PVC floor. The annex is spacious enough to sleep one person, which increases the capacity to 5 people.
Another great feature of the Vagabond is the built-in premium UltraPlush 2.0 mattress that is made with high-density 3″ foam. It’s very comfortable to help you and your family sleep through out those stormy nights. Also, the anti-condensation mat helps to prevent moisture buildup underneath the mattress.
Let’s quickly look at some other features of the Vagabond XL:
- Includes boot bags to store your shoes
- Includes gear hammock to keep all your extra gear off the ground
- Rainfly comes with skylight windows
Eezi-Awn Blade Hard Shell Roof Top Tent
Lastly, we have a hard shell roof top tent: Blade by Eezi-Awn. It’s perfect for smaller families who are looking for maximum comfort and durability.
It features a lightweight aluminum body with a 260-gram Teflon-coated polyester ripstop material, which can keep you safe in just about any weather conditions.
It can sleep 2 adults and 1 child comfortably and comes with a 3″ thick high-density foam mattress. Extra bonus is that both the roof and floor of the tent are insulated to keep you cozy during cold nights. Plus Blade includes LED lights on the roof of the tent and a 12V power supply socket with supply cord.
Blade also has a cool automated setup & takedown mechanism which helps you set up and take down this tent in 15-30 seconds without any help.
A quick look at some other features of the Blade:
- All windows include privacy mesh panels
- Elevated roof rear lets you store your bedding inside the tent when closed
- Includes four mounting rails on the bottom of the tent to make it easy for you to mount it on the roof racks
That’s a wrap, folks! Of the best waterproof family tents for bad weather conditions currently on the market!