Egg, Lettuce, Tomato in a jar (a vegetarian take on ta BLT) is a super easy, portable, and tasty lunch option when you’re camping or just out on long hikes. It’s a low-carb alternative to a sandwich, and also packs some fresh ingredients, which can sometimes be scarce when having meals out in the woods.
Ingredients (for 1 jar):
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs mustard
- 1 Tbs capers (optional)
- 2 Tsp chili powder (optional)
- Quorn meatless pieces (or other type of chick’n – you could also try a veggie bacon too!)
- 1 roma tomato
- handful of spinach
- mason jar (or other type of container, Tupperware works too)
Make this at home before you go! Then when you’re ready to eat it, just open and enjoy!
First we’re essentially making “deviled eggs” or “egg salad” – you can tweek it either direction based on your tastes.
- Hard boil the 3 eggs.
- Once they’ve cooled, de-shell the eggs and put them into a bowl. Mash up the eggs as much as possible (whites and yokes all together)
- Add the mayo, mustard, chili powder, and capers (all to taste) and mix together.
- Put into the bottom of the jar
- Cook your Quorn (or other chick’n of choice or fake-bacon) and add this to the jar in a layer above the eggs
- Cut the tomato into pieces and add to the jar.
- Top with spinach and then close the jar
And you’re ready to go! Just open the jar and enjoy – and don’t forget that you’ll need some sort of spork or utensil to get to all of your layers!